Saturday, March 21, 2009

So when is my contest anyway?

I can't give you a direct answer…yet. Let me explain…

This diet is quite different than anything I've ever done in the past. This past offseason, I took an extended cruise. During that time, some of you know I applied as a contestant for American Gladiators and cut my weight significantly in an effort to become more agile and have a better strength to weight ratio.



Around that time, I was thinking about how Kevin Levrone was famous for his ability to get leaner and bigger as he approached a contest, and I got the crazy idea to try something similar. Now I'd be lying if part of me didn't think this would also be great because I could slack off eating-wise and not stuff myself to gain size.

I talked with Kevin D (my diet guy) about it, and he thought it might work. Basically, our approach is to dramatically increase my calories with clean food, throw in some cardio, and see if I can gain some size and lose some fat at the same time. I'm 3 weeks into the diet now, and my calories have hovered around 3800-4000/day. I'll be honest - it's pretty tough to get in all my meals because I don't have a big appetite to being with. (That’s partially why I actually like dieting!). I'm pretty much within 5 lbs of where I was when I started (220 lbs) but have dramatically changed the way I look. I'll post some pics in the next couple days.

Anyway - back to the contest date…because we don't know how my body is going to respond, we haven't picked an exact show yet. Rather, we've chosen a range depending on my progress. I actually like this approach because I don’t feel stressed out about being ready and I can relax and just monitor my body. Right now the choices are Bev Frances' show in NY, Jr. Nats, Southern States, and USAs. All of them span about a month from June to late July. We're going to play it by ear at this point and monitor my progress. We'll know more as we get further into the diet. The first show is 11 weeks away. As soon as I know which show(s) I'm doing, you'll be the first to know ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment